Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Puritans on 9/11. . .

This morning I've so appreciated the many photos, quotes, and other remembrances that transport us back eleven years to a day that seems like just yesterday. I looked at the clock just a few minutes ago and realized that I was already glued to the television in my office, watching the horror unfold. As a Christian, it was a day that had to be filtered through the realities of life in a sinful and fallen world and the hope we have in our Sovereign God. Still, it was all very confusing. . . and still is.

While closing my eyes and thinking back to that day in 2001, I was reminded of how the Puritans prayed through their pain, suffering, darkness, confusion, and grief. I reached over to read the title prayer from The Valley of Vision prayer book. May this be our prayer as we continue to ponder and sort through life in this world. . .

Lord, high and holy, meek and lowly,

Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
 where I live in the depths but see thee in the heights;
 hemmed in by the mountains of sin I behold thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox
 that the way down is the way up,
 that to be low is to be high,
 that the broken heart is the healed heart,
 that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
 that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
 that to have nothing is to possess all,
 that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
 that to give is to receive,
 that the valley is the place of vision.

Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from the deepest wells,
 and the deeper the wells the brighter they stars shine;
Let me find thy light in my darkness,  
 thy life in my death,
 thy joy in my sorrow,
 thy grace in my sin,
 thy riches in my poverty,
 they glory in my valley.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Walt. This was a timely reminder for me, for many things!