The old saying goes, “a picture’s worth a thousand words.” The picture of the magazine cover you see below is worth a thousand times that. If you work with kids, parent kids, minister to kids, love kids. . . . you need to “read” this picture. Then, you need to talk about it. I think this photo – more than any other I’ve seen in a long time – captures the essence and reality of today’s youth culture.
If you’re in youth ministry, don’t plan anything for this week’s gathering. Instead, put the photo up on the big screen. Get into some small groups. Then, have your students discuss these questions:
- Does this picture make any suggestions on how to think, talk, act, or live?
- What does the picture say about the way the world is?
- What does this picture say about the way the world ought to be?
- Is there right and wrong?
- What’s portrayed as right?
- What’s portrayed as wrong?
- What do the Scriptures say about the values, attitudes, and behaviors portrayed in this picture?
- How does God call us to live out His Kingdom priorities in the midst of the world depicted in this photo?