Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day. . . Will You Be Happy or Sad Tonight? . . .

It's a good possibility that half of our country's residents will go to bed sad, frustrated, angry, and maybe even a bit hopeless tonight. If your guy doesn't win what will you be thinking and feeling?

I don't in any way shape or form have this all figured out. My understanding of politics, the political process, and earthly rulers has been has evolving over the years. I've participated in the process by exercising my right, responsibility and privilege to vote. I will do so today. Over the years, I've read, studied and talked about the role of Christ's followers in politics and I've watched Christians involve themselves in politics a variety of ways. Again, I don't claim to have this figured out. But I do know that whatever happens tonight and whatever anyone feels as their head hits the pillow (regardless of who they've voted for), the Someone who is in control has never and will never live in the White House.

Today is a very important day for our country. There's a lot hanging in the balance. Make no mistake. . . this is an important day for our nation. We must be active, informed and involved in the process. But ultimately, something bigger is being unfolded by a Sovereign Someone who is the Lord of the universe.

As you vote today, as you watch the results, as you celebrate or lament the fact that your guy won or didn't win. . . . ponder these perspective-giving words from Psalm 20: "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

I was reminded of these words as I went to bed last night listening to Robin Mark's song "Some Trust In Chariots." Perhaps you'll find it helpful to listen to and ponder the song a few times during the day today. . . .

No comments: